I had the privilege and honor to interview an old friend from middle school, Sara Dorvillier. Many of you may know her as a blogger, Classy Sally. Before we jump into the interview, I must say this: the choices that we make each day, shape our tomorrow.
A few weeks ago, I attended one of Sara’s monthly “Classy Sally Event” summer brunches. It was the first time since we’d last seen each other in 10+ years, and all we could say to each other in complete amazement was, “Wow, look at God!” We both overwhelmed each other with compliments, admiration of each other’s work and growth on our faith journeys, and how we do not look the same as when last we saw each other. Ha!
Let’s jump right into this interview.
1. Would you tell our readers about yourself and your blog?
I’ve always had a passion to help and motivate others. Growing up in a rough neighborhood pushed me to achieve my goals. I graduated with my Bachelors in Multi-Media Studies and I’m pushing a Masters in Electronic Media. I have a love for writing, reading, and dancing. My goal is to impact and empower young women across the country through my daily testimonies. Classy Sally empowers young women to love the skin they’re in through fashion, health wellness, and personal hygiene tips.
2. What makes Classy Sally stand out as a fashion blogger? How would you describe your clothing style?
Classy Sally is not just a blog about fashion. The vision of the blog is to help women, and in the future men, to know and understand who they are through their daily lifestyles, and of course, allowing God to order their steps when doing it. We dress with a purpose; understanding that we belong to an all-powerful God. So, there is no need to have low self-esteem or be depressed about your life. Dress up, and go and achieve your goals!
3. Let’s talk about the journey of building a brand, a strong support team, and getting your ideas out there. What were some of the things you learned and implemented in order to get where you are going?
It’s a daily fight. I had to be determined and persevere no matter what. I closed my ears to all the negativity around me and prayed my way through it. I had an amazing support team. My mom and pastor is my co-founder, she pushed me even when I didn’t see the big picture.
4. What are some of the new things we can expect to see from Classy Sally in 2017 and in the years to come?
You can expect to see Classy Sally to grow; expanding the mentoring program is definitely a long term goal.
5. What was your greatest failure as a blogger and what did you learn from it?
My greatest failure is not taking my time and trying to live up to other bloggers, instead of slowly building my own platform. Once I did that, everything came along.
6. What advice would you give to someone who is on the fence about starting a blog of any sort?
Plan and take your time do not rush, and above all in everything, pray earnestly, and do it and allow God to lead you. What helped me was careful planning and prayer.
7. How can people who would like to collaborate or connect with you get in contact with you, and know more about your business and blog.
People can connect and email me for collaboration options through my website: www.classysally.com, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or social media outlets: Instagram: Classy Sally_, FB: Classysally25, and twitter: Classy Sally_.